Here are a few facts about Mushrooms, the magic ingredient:
– Mushrooms in many cases are classified as a vegetable or perhaps a herb, but they’re actually fungi.
– While there are over 14,000 mushrooms, no more than 3,000 are edible, about 700 have known medicinal properties, and fewer than one percent are recognized as poisonous.
– Those who collect mushrooms for consumption are called mycophagists, and the act of collecting them for such is known as mushroom hunting or simply “mushrooming “.
– Only specimens which can be freshly picked or properly preserved ought to be consumed and not too old. Once an edible mushroom loses its freshness, bacterial colonies will form and stomach upsets or worse symptoms can be expected if such specimens are ingested.
– The most commonly consumed mushroom on earth is Agaricus bisporus or the white button mushroom. It’s two other types – Crimini or brown mushrooms with a more earthy flavor and firmer texture, and Portabella mushrooms with a large umbrella-shaped cap and meaty flavor.
– The Egyptians considered mushrooms as a delicacy, and the Greeks believed that mushrooms provided strength for warriors in battle psilocybin capsules for sale. The Romans regarded mushrooms as something special from God and served them only on festive occasions, whilst the Chinese treasured them as a health food.
– Mushrooms contain about 80 to 90 % water and are very low in calories (only 100 calories/oz). They have almost no sodium and fat and 8 to 10 % of the dry weight is fiber.
– No more than 45% of mushrooms produced are consumed in the fresh form. The rest of the 55% is processed with 5% in the dehydrated form and 50% in the canned mushrooms form.
– This shelf life of mushrooms in the fresh form is extremely short. Hence mushrooms are traded on earth market mostly in the processed form.
– Some mushrooms produce compounds that fight cancer! This was discovered when scientists in Japan found that a community had unusually low cancer rates.
– Mushrooms can be used for dyeing wool and other natural fibers. The chromophores of mushrooms are organic compounds and produce strong and vivid colors, and all colors of the spectrum can be achieved with mushroom dyes.
– Netherlands is the greatest exporter of canned button mushrooms [http://www.sunimpex.biz/Canned_Mushrooms.htm] with a market share of approximately 38.5%. China is second with almost 30% of world trade. France is close third with 13.5% of the entire world exports.
– In terms of the import market goes, the most significant buyer of canned white button mushroom is Germany. It alone accounts for pretty much 40% of the entire world imports.
In addition to the aforementioned facts, mushrooms assists in immune function, they’re high in vegetable proteins and also promotes a healthy body and vitality.